Tuesday, September 29, 2009

20 Days to Disney: You Will Get Wet on this Ride.

First, a moment of "Site Business"...

From the very start of this countdown, I've apparently been a day off, so I'm posting 2 today. (Sad...I know.)

As the countdown gets closer and closer to the end, the more tangible the items will become... case in point... An actual RIDE here at 20 days and counting. I know I already talked about a bunch of them, but more as jumping off points for bigger points I wanted to make.

Not this time. This time I just want to talk about a fun ride that for much of my life I was too chicken to ride.

Splash Mountain.


I'm a notorious wuss when it comes to falls or plummets or whatever. I don't like them. I don't like the idea of splatting on anything. It just makes me feel icky. Of all of the iconic rides at Disney, the one that made me feel the most icky was Splash Mountain. I'd stand there, and I'd watch boat after boat of people plummet over the edge of "Slippin' Falls" and disappear into an abyss, and just as I'd have talked myself into riding it, I'd talk myself out.

Then, during my November 2006 trip, I stated at the start of the trip that if the line was less than 20 minutes when we went past, I'd suck it up and ride. Of course, this was total bullshit, because never in my life had the line been that short.

The Disney Gods called my bluff. We went on a chilly, overcast day and it was November... I should have known. The wait time? 15 minutes.

So I got in line, and started to hyperventilate (mentally).

By the time I got on the ride, I was really jittery, and I barely could pay any attention to the fun details of the ride. I was too worked up waiting for the interminable fall. Then the fall came and... it wasn't so bad. In fact, it was kinda fun.

I also didn't get soaked at all, which is the other reason I'd always avoided it. I hate walking around with wet shoes or socks. It's the only reason I've still never ridden Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom.

I had such a good time, actually, that I rode again later that day and was actually able to enjoy the incredibly elaborate storyline of the ride. Man...that ride is CRAZY detailed. And the drop? No sweat.

Though, I will admit that I was totally drenched the second time. Not just from the drop, but from the water canons that had all missed me the first time, but totally nailed me the second.

Still... totally fun. I'm looking forward to riding it again. I have a feeling that it's one of those rides that grows on you with repeated ridings. There are so many details and Easter eggs and whatnot. It would take you 50 turns to find all of them. I'm looking forward to that.

And now... The Disney Trivia Question of the Day

Question: How tall is the Summit Plummet Water Slide at Blizzard Beach?

If you think you know, please send an e-mail to blog@beefymuchacho.com

Everyone with the correct answer will receive a point. An incorrect answer gets 1/2 a point. The person with the most points will get a Limted Edition Pin purchased during my stay.

Standings are being updated daily at http://www.beefymuchacho.com/ on the "Contests" page.

I'll repost the questions with the answers at the end of the contest.

No comments: