Monday, September 21, 2009

29 Days to Disney: Is that Music I Hear?


Hey Folks-


So... How do you like the new scheme?

Anyway, there's only 29 days to Disney. Time for another blog in the countdown.

One of the reasons Disney World sticks with you and leaves an everlasting impression is a tiny little detail. In fact, I think it's one of those things you notice right at the beginning of the day, but you sort of forget about it after a few minutes. Rest assured, though... it's there.

As you walk through the parks, if you prick your ears up (what does that mean?) you'll hear the Walt Disney World soundtrack playing. I'm not talking about the sounds of the children laughing, and the shouts of glee on Splash Mountain (or the screams of agony from deep within It's a Small World)...those are there to be sure, but Disney actually plays ambient music throughout each land of each park. It's like I said. You don't really notice it after a few minutes, but they evoke a feeling...an emotion. It is, admittedly, manipulative, but that's the way it goes. It's just like in a movie or a play when there's a subtle change of light or a slight change in the music that leads the audience in a certain direction.

This is something I absolutely LOVE about Walt Disney World. The concern isn't just putting asses in the seats, but rather to provide those asses with a full sensory experience that makes the whole time complete.

I was at King's Island on Sunday (in the rain... ) and I listened. I heard the rides. I heard the screams. I did not hear the music. I missed it. The continuity just wasn't there.

Any Now... The Disney Trivia Question of the Day:

QUESTION: Why is the height of many buildings inside the parks at Disney World only 199 ft high?

If you think you know, please send an e-mail to blog@beefymuchacho.com

Everyone with the correct answer will receive a point. An incorrect answer gets 1/2 a point. The person with the most points will get a Limited Edition Pin purchased during my stay.

Standings will be posted on the "Contests" page of http://www.beefymuchacho.com/

(I'll post all of the answers for all of the questions after the trip.)

2 comments:

djphob said...

They used to play such music at King's Island back in the day. It would make me feel nostalgic. And then they stopped.

Odd, as I am reading through these from the present, this one made me feel most excited about my upcoming trip. hmm!

Beefy Muchacho said...

It's all about the overall atmosphere they establish, and it's a feeling that you can't replicate anywhere... that's probably why this one got you excited.