Saturday, September 26, 2009

24 Days to Disney: The Great Movie Ride


The Great Movie Ride was my first "favorite" ride at Disney World.

When I was a kid, I was an even bigger pussy than I am now. I was terrified of rides. Every time I'd get on an unknown ride for the first time, I'd be filled with anxiety due to the unknown of what was to come.

Disney was no exception.

We went to the then MGM Studios and got in line for the Great Movie Ride. I was effing stressed out...

When I got on the ride the music started and the guide started his spiel (shpiel?) and immediately the anxiety left me. The ride vehicle was large and slow. The banter was witty. The music was magical. I loved it.

The best thing was that of all of the rides and of all of the attractions, this was the ride that I could most see me working when I would inevitably come to Disney as an adult (yet to occur). I'd just daydream all the time of being the gangster who hijacks the ride car. It would be awesome.

I'll admit that it hasn't aged well for me. The actors are... lackluster at best. The movie scenes haven't been updated in years. At this point this ride mostly holds a nostalgic value for me. In fact, I'm not entirely sure that I even rode it the last time I was there.

Still... I do love the ride, and I'll always love how it was my first favorite ride.

And now... The Disney Trivia Question of the Day

Question: Walt Disney World houses the World's largest sand-bottom pool at 750,000 gallons of water. Where is it, and what is it called?

If you think you know, please send an e-mail to blog@beefymuchacho.com

Everyone with the correct answer will receive a point. An incorrect answer gets 1/2 a point. The person with the most points will get a Limted Edition Pin purchased during my stay.

Standings are being updated daily at http://www.beefymuchacho.com/ on the "Contests" page.

I'll repost the questions with the answers at the end of the contest.

No comments: