Monday, October 5, 2009

14 Days to Disney: The Thunder Rolls


I've stated a few times that I'm no fan of roller coasters. That was doubly true when I was a youth. Nowadays I'll at least go on rides like Expedition Everest and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. I'm nowhere near as squeamish as I once was.

That's one of the reasons I've always loved Disney... Even the coasters were coasters that I could ride. (When I first started going there was no Everest or Aerosmith). The most intense roller coaster at Disney was probably Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, and for some reason that I couldn't explain then, and really can't even explain now... I loved it.

I mean... I know why I love it in a completely objective sense. It's a fun roller coaster. It's fast. It tosses you around a bit. It's got great theming (like all Disney rides, really).

I guess the thing that lets Big Thunder stand apart, if I had to put my finger on something, is that because it's Disney I had an inate trust that it wouldn't be too much for me. There's nothing sinister about Walt Disney World, and for a kid who was often scared of his own shadow (I always prefer to consider myself to have been "gentle-souled", but I was a bit of a pansy... I'll be honest) , there was something wonderful about going to a place where I KNEW that nothing would be too much for me. Nothing was designed with the intent to scare. Maybe to thrill. Maybe to exhilarate, but not terrify. Even the Tower of Terror, which is still the one ride at Disney that makes me feel vaguely icky is a ride that I've ridden and not been terrified on.

The ride that most exemplifies this feeling of thrilling safety, for me, may always be Big Thunder Mountain. Maybe even secretly it's the ride that took Disney over the top for me from being a fun place to go, but like King's Island in that it's fun, but only partially not a waste for me, to being a place where I wanted to go all of the time. A place where I could negotiate every corner.

I do love me some Big Thunder.

Plus, it is, for some odd reason the attraction I most saw myself working. No idea why.

And now... The Disney Trivia Question of the Day

Question: Name the 5 Mountains of Walt Disney World, and place them in order according to height, tallest to shortest.

If you think you know, please send an e-mail to blog@beefymuchacho.com

Everyone with the correct answer will receive a point. An incorrect answer gets 1/2 a point. The person with the most points will get a Limted Edition Pin purchased during my stay.

Standings are being updated daily at http://www.beefymuchacho.com/ on the "Contests" page.

I'll repost the questions with the answers at the end of the contest.

No comments: