Tuesday, October 6, 2009

13 Days to Disney: Paging Mr. Morrow. Mr. Tom Morrow


My step-mom, Dee Anne, is a big reason why I loved Disney right from the start. Like I was back then, she's not really a ride rider. She's always content to check out the Coca Cola Club Cool or Innoventions. She'd rather (100 times out of 100) enjoy the Carousel of Progress as opposed to going on Space Mountain. You get the picture...

Well, as a kid, I'd often opt to keep her company going into and out of the shops in the Studios instead of going on Tower of Terror. I would hang out with her and go on Spaceship Earth (about her speed) as opposed to Test Track. I love Test Track and Space Mountain, but I don't NEED to ride them, and it's fun to keep her company.

In a way, the enjoyment she'd get out of these slower paced things (and even things like grabbing some old timey popping corn and people watching) made me really notice a lot of the things about Disney that I've come to love the most. The details. The music. You get the idea.

Well, my favorite time spender with Dee Anne is riding the T.T.A. (The Tomorrowland Transit Authority)...affectionately known as The People Mover. It's just this silly little train type thing that glides through Tomorrowland on a magnetic track and sneaks through different attractions and is, most importantly cool and breezy. Topping out at about 5 miles per hour, it's just the right speed for enjoying some Diet Coke and killing time while waiting for the braver people in the party to finish riding Space Mountain.

I remember on the last family trip there in June of 06, Dee Anne didn't want to ride Space Mountain (as if that had even been a possibility), and I'd just ridden it the last time I was there in December of 05 (like I said... the hour long wait usually dissuades me from riding it on every trip). So she and I decided to go on the Carousel of Progress, with it's usual 5 minute wait. Once that was done, Dad and Briana still had 40 minutes to go, and the storm clouds were rolling in, so Dee Anne and I quickly darted over to the People Mover and rode while it POURED down rain. It was one of those Floridian downpours you always experience. They pop-up out of nowhere and disappear as quickly. Well... this one took exactly 3 rides on the People Mover. It was a great time.

Oh...and if you love views, the People Mover has some of the best of Cinderella's Castle in the whole park.

There are a lot of little things that many people will ignore or skip so they can ride the big E-Ticket attractions, but going with Dee Anne has illustrated better than any guide book the beauty of the little rides. The C-Ticket attractions.

And now... The Disney Trivia Question of the Day

Question: What is the name of the robotic lounge singer in Tomorrowland's Cosmic Rays restaurant?

If you think you know, please send an e-mail to blog@beefymuchacho.com

Everyone with the correct answer will receive a point. An incorrect answer gets 1/2 a point. The person with the most points will get a Limted Edition Pin purchased during my stay.

Standings are being updated daily at http://www.beefymuchacho.com/ on the "Contests" page.

I'll repost the questions with the answers at the end of the contest.

No comments: